Life can be ecstatic, exciting and extraordinary... if you make it to be.




E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



SHAME ON ME :(
“To those who will never follow in his footsteps, submerged as they are in a world of cynicism, self-interest and frantic consumption, nothing could be more vicariously gratifying than Che's disdain for material comfort and everyday desires.” – Time 100: Heroes and Icons

Was in Xaymaca last night with Petite, Mark, Budjette, Brandie and a friend who was a contemporary in my student politics era. We checked out this red shirt (with a classic Che Guevara print) Mark bought. I was saying how cool it was when Mark said I could have it as long as I could explain to anyone who asks who Che was. That certainly got me stomped. All those years as a student activist, and I realize I hardly know anything about him. (Should I even be glad at least I know that Che is not just that cigar bar in Rockwell?) To me, he was a revolutionary symbol, an icon for the restless youth. Essentially, a real hero reduced to a myth and his true legacy lost on me. :( And that happened long before I got sucked into Corporate America. Sadly, I have no excuse. And as I read through the accounts of his ardor and passion in fighting against poverty, injustice and imperialism, I feel the shame stemming from my ignorance and inaction. I am as responsible as the government for the sad plight of our country. I am as responsible for driving my countrymen out of our beloved land for greener pastures. This Argentine with a Cuban citizenship who died in Bolivia to fight for his cause taught me so much this Saturday morning. I just hope, this time, I have a better grasp of what Che means to our generation and the future generations, and that his violent execution would not have been in vain.

* * * * *
Sorry, Ibalik, we brought a digi cam last night but did not take any pix. :)

* * * * *
Watching Deuce Bigalow on cable right now and I just noticed they mentioned the Filipino delicacy, bibingka, in that movie. Ala lang, I know Rob Schneider is half Filipino, but I’m not sure if that’s what got our bibingka it’s 30 seconds of fame. :P

* * * * *
Kainis yan si wru ha. He went to the States last Wed. and he called me while he was at the airport to tell me he was leaving in a couple of hours na. This morning he texted asking me to call him and I thought something bad must have happened and maybe his trip didn’t push through after all. So I call and guess what? He’s in L.A. And when I asked why he wanted me to call, he just said “Wala lang. Wala lang akong magawa.” Grrrr.







Dose Me


Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com