Life can be ecstatic, exciting and extraordinary... if you make it to be.



UNCANNY


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



09.11.01. I woke up from a nap that day. And out of habit, I turned on my TV. Just in time for me to see the planes crashing into the Twin Towers at the World Trade Center. The news was showing footages as they were happening. The buildings on fire, people falling off, before the buildings eventually gave way, towers no more. I watched in horror. In disbelief. Somehow wishing it was April fool's day and this was some network's idea of a joke. But it wasn't a joke. And what I thought only happened in the movies, did happen.


03.11.11. It was a quiet afternoon at work. I passed by the monitor as I was going to the bathroom, just as the news was showing huge waves washing away houses, and cars and everything else on its path. I forgot I needed to go to the bathroom. I stood there as slowly more and more people swarmed the TV. We were all asking each other if it was real. Shock. Disbelief. Horror. Denial.

Two events. Almost 10 years apart. Different scenarios - a man-made tragedy against a natural disaster. But very same feelings. These scenes are scenes out of a movie. A kind of movie I don't even like to watch. But there's no escaping this now. This is real. This is life. It's happening. And it's the scariest feeling of all. And I can't help but feel that feeling of impending doom. And all I want to is to run to my husband, my parents, my siblings, my nephews and nieces, my friends. And then it hit me, none of my loved ones where within running distance from me. Most of them were at least an island away.

I don't know how long I stood in front of that TV. My officemates and I were glued, and if someone started it, I think we would have started to hug each other before long. Then I eased away to check up on everyone that I could. My dad called. And we talked and I was just so comforted hearing his voice.

I went through the motions of that day. It was business as usual. But something in me has changed again. The world changed when 9/11 happened. It's changing again now. And it's scary that this time, the "ENEMY" is not someone bearded and in hiding but we know we can find and destroy someday.

Yes, we can be prepared. We can take some preventive measures. But the most that we can do really is pray. Pray for Japan. Pray for the world.

Labels: , , ,






Dose Me


Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com