Life can be ecstatic, exciting and extraordinary... if you make it to be.




E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



OF LOST YOUTHS, FAMILY RELATIONSHIPS, FRIENDSHIPS…
Watched Riding in Cars with Boys last night. Actually, I intended to blog about this earlier, but ended up writing about the subplot to last night’s event :)

The movie starred Drew Barrymore who played Beverly Donofrio, a writer who wrote a book with the same title. In this movie, Drew ages from 15 to 36 years old. Her portrayal is very refreshing, and she really makes you feel with the character as she travels the journey of a young, single mom.

Beverly got pregnant at age 15, amidst protests to her father that “nothing happened”. She insisted she never goes second base with someone she just met. Nothing below the waist, hers, she points out. :D At some point in our youth, we can all relate to that. Rebellion and recklessness, I mean. And sometimes, the consequences really redirect the course of your life. I’m just glad that I’ve gone past that stage with flying colors. I mean, I don’t have youth to lose now nor family relationships to strain. I wasn’t the best child, but for the most part, I have not done anything that my parents would not approve of (not that they know of, at least ;-)).

The 1st half of the movie was really funny. I was laughing hard in my seat. But in the latter part, it took a 180-degree turn from the moment Bev’s heroin addict husband, Ray, left her and her child so that they can live a good life. Much later, Ray told his grown up son that the best thing he has ever done for him was leaving them and get wasted. If he had stayed, he would have screwed up his family’s lives. The last good thing he was able to do for them was sign a contract that prevented him from filing a lawsuit or something so Bev’s book will be published. His son asked whether his current wife might get mad, and he answered that women always like to forgive. They like to take care of screwed up men… Hahahahaha…

What is also noteworthy about the movie was the family support that Bev got from her sister, mom, and specially her dad, in his own brand of showing it. I started to miss my mom and dad while watching the movie. In the end, when Bev’s son left him to be with the love of his life, she called someone. And I had guessed right. It was her dad who picked her up. Much like how our parents would usually pick up after the “mess” we make in our lives. I am so blessed because my parents are like that. They’re probably not the perfect parents, but they are mine and they're the best!

Bev’s friendship with her childhood best friend also helped her through her difficulties. They mostly had the same struggles, and their friendship lasted through time and space. Much like my friendships with my long time best friends.

Ain’t I lucky, ha? :-)

BTW:
Received a rose from an officemate today. Just a sweet, simple gesture but it made my day! :-)






Dose Me


Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com