Life can be ecstatic, exciting and extraordinary... if you make it to be.




E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



CEBUANA KA, 'DAY?
So this is why Dennis knows how to speak Cebuano :) I tried so hard to learn Spanish when I had a crush on this Costa Rican guy I was working with. But, after almost six months in Costa Rica, I’ve only managed to add No habla Espanol and La cuenta, por favor in my vocabulary :P

After living here in Manila for five years, mas o menos, I’ve become assimilated. However, I used to get annoyed when asked “Bakit wala kang punto?” (why don’t you have an accent?). While it’s probably true that most Cebuanos are matigas ang dila (deng, someone pls. translate that), I just hate it when people make generalizations. Hate it even more when I see yayas (housemaids) in the movies typecast with a bad accent and all. And if someone would give me that anak ng Diyos attitude, I wouldn’t hesitate to give back a piece of my mind. But I’ve learned two things: we live in a world full of biases and bigotry, and second, we have to choose our battles. Now I just shrug whenever people ask me the punto question. After all, I'm at an advantage here. If I get really pissed, I can just go ahead and swear in Cebuano. :D

REMINISCING
Speaking of Costa Rica, reading Tina’s account reminded me of my own trip and adventures three years ago. Gawd, I miss the guaro, la agila, salsa, merengue and the ticos.. :)






Dose Me


Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com