Life can be ecstatic, exciting and extraordinary... if you make it to be.



AMAZING WEEK


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



The fact that I loved Penang so much that it hurt to leave was suprising. I mean, I remembered how I disliked the smell of curry and the heaps of yellow rice when I was there the last time. I guess this is one of the times that definitely showcases how ignorance can be such a dangerous thing.

Here are some of the reasons why I love Penang (I couldn't think of any reason not to. The only kakaasar moments actually came from back home and not from Penang, ironically).

1. Temples. Not only are they beautiful, but it is also an indication of a culture so diverse yet somewhat harmonious. I don't know how many there are, but I know there's a lot. We went to a Siamese temple, a Burmese temple, an Indian temple. And we've passed by Chinese temples, mosques, churches, and other places of worship to perhaps any religion there is in the world.

At the Burmese temple, Ali and I knelt before a monk and he murmured a prayer on a language we didn't recognize, splashed water on us and put a tiny string bracelet on our wrist. I hoped that he prayed that my good man and I will find ourselves in a good ending to this tale. Especially since the RM coin I threw missed that bowl of interest in the wishing well;)



2. Food. The Banana Leaf Curry House is one of my favorite places to eat here. And in Penang, it is practically a daily fare. I'm kind of wary about overly spicy and hot food, but I find myself missing it already. Apparently, spicy food is good for the metabolism, and I know my sinuses definitely cleared the whole week.

The only downside, RICE! I totally abandoned my low carb diet. Rice tames the tangy and spicy feel on my tongue. And I'm Asian, for goodness sakes. I love my rice. :P

3. Novelty. I know we have carinderia, jolly-jeeps and McDoko-doko (in cebu). They are probably the hawker's counterpart in Penang. But what is different is the way they are set-up. I'm talking about the food courts there selling hawker fare. What is different is that no one stall is selling the same food. Too bad I didn't get to try laksa. And I still want to try the authentic hawker style - go line up to the hawkers selling food in one corner on the street :)

4. Culture. Diversity is definitely interesting. In the company cafe, non-halal food is not allowed inside. Most of the restos just sell chicken. When we arrived, it was start of the Chinese Hungry Ghost festival. Apparently, during the full moon, the ghosts came back to visit their loved ones (and maybe enemies? ;) ). Sidewalk plays were held for the ghosts. So don't be sorry if you see a play that has empty seats (or nilalangaw, in tagalog). That's really the way it's supposed to be. Because the seats are for the ghosts. (Insert gasp here).

The girl in the picture with me by the Gurney Drive was in one of those plays. Too bad we didn't get to watch.



5. Gurney Drive. Gurney Drive is fronting the sea. Looks like Baywalk, only cleaner and less crowded. The place is apparently a little upscale. Very pretty, breezy and serene. Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf (I prefer tea lattes over fraps) is just a short walk away. And more importantly, Plaza Gurney - our little shoe shopping haven. Wahaha.

6. Uncle Siva. He has been driving Filipino expats for about 10 years now. He has become like a legend. Dapat kasama sa traveller's checklist. He is kind and honest and very fatherly. We always felt safe with him. And without him, we would never have managed to go around Georgetown or up the hills to Batu Ferringhi for a last minute shopping spree.

7. Shopping. Ali and I scored lovely pairs of shoes all for under 1.5k pesos. I got several pairs for only P150 each! The most expensive pair I got were the studded ballerina flats at about P900. Not bad. The best part is, they are all so comfy on my feet!

Then of course, there was the Shu Uemura finds. Too bad I'm not a keen make up fan. But an eyelash curler is something I can probably figure out. Harhar.

The night market in Batu Ferringhi is like Greenhills, only it's a whole stretch of stalls by the roadside instead of inside the building. You have your usual pirated DVD's, knock-offs and hand-crafts. Some items are actually cheaper here in the Philippines. But the best part of shopping is the experience in looking through stalls and stalls of pretty stuff. :)


8. Traffic. Definitely better than Manila, a little similar to Cebu. In fact, Penang and Cebu is quite similar. A developing island, somewhere between suburban and urban... More laid-back than Manila, but not without the comforts of development. I love that people hardly honk their horns in Penang. Not even during rush hour. How very refreshing.

The only downside (or should I say challenge), is that they drive on the left side of the road. When crossing the streets, I always look the other way, and now I understand why M really had a hard time with that here in the Phils. Hahaha. But like new things, this is just something that takes getting used to. So it's really not that bad.

9. Subsidized gas. Gas there is cheaper because the government is subsidizing it. Education is free until high school, and the government will send to prison parents who don't send their children to school. Wonderful.

10. Friends. Through the years I've met so many friends from all over the world. And not surprisingly, I fell in love with a Malaysian once. Good thing he's in the US or (insert possible scenarios here). Hahaha.

Too bad I wasn't able to see one of my good friends, but we did talk lengthily over the phone. I miss him, and I will miss the rest of my friends.

And most definitely, I will miss Penang. Till next time! :)






Dose Me


Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com