Life can be ecstatic, exciting and extraordinary... if you make it to be.



DISCOVERIES


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Discovering the beauty of a new place is probably one of the best things ever. I've been here before but almost 10 years after, Penang has really changed a lot. New roads, highways, malls. Proton is about to shut down after being the only car made affordable by their government. I suspect that globalization killed it. Change with change. It's the only way to survive.

Penang is just so culturally rich, so diverse yet somewhat harmonious. Uncle Siva, the resident Pinoy expat driver toured Ali and I at Georgetown, the other day. There you can find a Catholic Church, Indian Temple, mosque and a Chinese temple on the same street. Little India and Little China are right next to each other. It was fun to see all the colors, facets and people in this country. I've always said that Malaysia is my least favorite sites to visit, but I guess we can always change our minds.




Penang is a beautiful island. And with the nice places to shop, good food, long-time friends and accomodating counterparts, I have nothing but praise for it. Too bad I'm only here for a week. Maybe someday I can get a job here. If only it's not hard to get a residency card over here.

Speaking of changes, I guess something in me changed drastically over the last few weeks. I've come to see the people around me in a different light. I can understand we are only all so human, but sometimes, we just have to put down our feet on the things we can or cannot tolerate. Like bigotry, malice, deceit or just plain annoyance. It has come to a point where I had to reevaluate some friendships and decide which ones I wanna feel a heartburn on, and which ones I can just say - oh well. Truth is, if some people choose to be petty, or choose to gossip about their so-called friends - then, I'll say, thanks, but no thanks. It's not that I don't need friends. But I'd rather have friends who have my back, not only when it's convenient for them. This is a case where I can expect that from my friends because not only am I that kind of friend, but also, that's what friends are supposed to be.

I don't think friends should necessarily always agree with each other. But some things are just really either black or white. And no, I'm not being righteous either. But when I strongly believe in something, I will not back down on it. Even when I sometimes end up being the bad guy. At least, hindi ako plastic. Ngiti sa harap, then bite you in the back when you're not looking. Ay. Ang ganda.

Can I say it again? Thanks, but no thanks.

It's a nice night out there. So I will end this post before the trivial details mess with my aura.

I finally crossed to the mainland today, via the famous Penang bridge. Ate at a floating seafood resto in a kampung (fishing village). Not fancy, but food was yum (but also expensive!). Earlier we went to the Sunshine Market (which is the modern incarnation of hawker, but no longer roving) for lunch. It's like a huge open-air foodcourt, somewhere I don't usually eat at back home. And I realized, it is not bad at all. Culture makes you rethink your otherwise petty kaartehan kahit hindi bagay. Of course, my ever protective counterparts made sure I didn't eat anything too funky. The red bean drink/shake was sweet, but the bits of beans got stuck in my throat.


I wanna try hawker food. We passed by this guy earlier and my counterpart said he is the most famous hawker in Penang. Too bad I just had a very filling dinner. Maybe I can check him out tomorrow? Or go to Siam temple.

I wanna eat roti canai in our cafe, but it's about a 10min walk from the building we're at. And as usual, my counterparts know no breaks or lunches. Time is really tight, that's why. But there's a two-hour lunch that I can leverage on since it's a friday. Opportunity.

And for my last night, Batu Ferringhi with my CR counterpart or with Ali and her counterparts. Maybe check out Chillout?

Ah, I will be sad to leave this place on Saturday. I definitely wanna be back here really soon. Maybe then the hungry ghosts will have left town as well already ;)






Dose Me


Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com