Life can be ecstatic, exciting and extraordinary... if you make it to be.



CULTURAL ROADTRIP - LAST PART


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Pampanga on the other hand, really takes the word painful literally. A lot of people volunteer to get crucified in San Fernando. This year, even a foreigner was in line but backed out after seeing blood splatter all over the place in the crucifixions before him. I had little desire to watch this little spectacle, so I scrapped it out of my itinerary.

Unlike the drive from Manila, driving through San Fernando was really slow. Apparently, most of the chapels and churches were holding a Pabasa. I was able to gather that this tradition is quite similar to holding a wake when a family member dies. Only this time, it's in remembrance of the death of Jesus Christ, and apparently, this is held week-long in most of the churches/chapels until Black Saturday. This being the Philippines, there are chapels/churches in almost every little corner, of course. Thus, the traffic.

Here’s another proof that Pinoys are indeed very enterprising. A lot of makeshift stores with tables and chair selling beer/softdrinks/pulutan near the chapels/churches sprang like mushrooms, and making the otherwise sleepy town, abuzz with excitement. It didn’t surprise me though that there were more people hanging out in the stores, than inside the church.

After making church rounds for Visita Iglesia, we heard mass in one of the bigger churches. I hardly understand a mass in Tagalog, but this one was in Pampangeno. Talk about being lost in translation.

Dinner was in a fastfood pizza place, as most restaurants were close. There more than two long tables (party of at least 10), and I guess this is an indication that Lent also means some quality family time. That, I can actually digest.

Good Friday started early, as we set out to Palauig, Zambales at 6AM. We were heading off to the beach, our very own Boca del Cielo (Heaven's Mouth), hehe. Palauig is a small town in Central Zambales, about 2 hours out from Subic. There are other nearby beaches but we were also visiting a friend, thereby the choice of location.

We arrived around 10AM, and I was hardly surprised to see dark brown sand. By now, I know better than to expect white sand in places other than Cebu or Boracay. Setting that minor disappointment aside, I actually enjoyed our little paradise. The beach was clean, the water very clear and it was not seaweed-infested. The tide was high, so I stayed out for most of the afternoon, playing with the waves, or getting a tan. I like that it wasn't crowded (maybe because tradition dictates Catholics should just be staying home on a Good Friday). Unfortunately, my camera was borrowed by my brother, so no pictures this time. All the beautiful memories will have to be archived in my mind.

The drive to Palauig was as interesting as the destination itself. Along the way, we passed by several sets of men making "penitensya", which basically means either flogging themselves in the back with bamboo or carrying a huge crucifix and getting beaten up by those in the procession with either the bamboo sticks or a small piece of wood. Apparently, the men flogging themselves, have their back cut by a blade before doing the penitensya. All of the participants were wearing masks. I took everything in as a cultural experience, but I sorely wanted to stop and talk some sense into these people.

Coming back from Palauig, we passed by several towns with the Good Friday processions in progress. We stopped at Subic for coffee at Mocha Blends (as a side note, let me just say, I'm loving this coffee shop already after a couple of visits). Soon there was another procession that passed by, and we just watched as the miniature statues of the saints and the crucifixion of Jesus was being paraded.

We got back to San Fernando shortly after 9PM, exhausted after a half-day at the beach, and after a long drive.

The trip out to the North turned out to be more than just a mini-break for me. It was a cultural road trip that made me see facets of our traditions that I haven't seen before. Makes me even more proud to be part of this culturally-diverse nation. There is definitely a lot to be taken away from this weekend.

Meanwhile, I'm thinking I should lay off the beach for a while. I don't do tan very well. Besides, I think I had a heat stroke and I'm actually down with something at the moment. Galera next weekend may just be my last sunny stop for this summer.

Then again, one never knows, when the ocean comes a-calling ;)






Dose Me


Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com