Life can be ecstatic, exciting and extraordinary... if you make it to be.



CD REVIEW: ISLAND RIDDIMS


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...




Island Riddims is an OPM reggae compilation by various artists. There are a couple of songs that are familiar to most of us - Ang Himig Natin which is a great collaboration between Tropical Depression, Pepe Smith and Jr. Kilat, and a reggae version of Yano's Tsinelas (now playing). The latter song is one of my favorite tracks in this album, because I never thought that a rock song can be made so danceable and would sound even better (no offense). Plus of course, I have an almost-addiction to tsinelas, so this is one of my theme songs. Only, Mang Kulas is actually Rustan's. hahaha. (Not of course to undermine the meaning of this song, which is actually activitist. My tsinelas addiction does not reflect a lack of regard for what we have to fight for, just for the record. While worrying over not finding a Havaianas style in my size is hardly a concern of the masses, I will always be ready to fight for the people of this country.)

Back to the CD, Jr. Kilat, of course, always combines reggae and humour. K-Fyne is a signature track that uses one of the old (and then-popular) ring tones of Nokia as base music, and is a song about cellphones (texting). Another favorite track, just because it's Budoy, and should there really be more reasons needed?! Haha. But also because it's just so hilarious and relaxing.

Beautiful Eyesore by Gaucho is nice to bob your head to, specially when you've already downed a couple of daquiris. And it makes you wanna dance close to that beach love of yours :) Lamok by Skabeche is classic. I have yet to figure out what the song is about (hehe) but I love the beat. This is my bestest track in this CD.

There are 2 non-OPM covers: Feel Like Making Love by Kakay and Get High With Me by Peace Pipe, and I say, well done :)

There are 18 tracks in this album, released since 2004. And I'm really really glad I saw this among all the indie albums in the wall. Thank goodness Rasta colors always interest me. I bought this without even listening to the album first, and I'm just lucky, I guess. This gets a rating of 5 sun kisses (5 of course, being the highest).

Summer is reggae season. Lounging at the beach is up a notch when coupled with a glass of pina colada and the heavy backbeat of reggae in the background. Even better if that music is from this album. This is definitely a summer must-have, next to your pretty bikinis, sunscreen and sunglasses. For less than P500, it's more than worth it.

Heading to the beach in a few. Happy Easter!






Dose Me


Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com