Life can be ecstatic, exciting and extraordinary... if you make it to be.




E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



CHRISTMAS BLOG
“When you’re worried and can’t sleep, just count your blessings instead of sheep
And you’ll fall asleep, counting your blessings
When you’re bankroll is getting small, just think of when you had none at all
And you’ll fall asleep, counting your blessings

I thank the Lord for good health, for the gift of love he sends
But most of all He’s blessed me with my family and friends”


This is probably one of the happiest Christmases I’ve had in recent years. First, because I spent it with my family (last year was spent with some officemates and a friend in the U.S. and it didn’t help that there were circumstances that led to a semi-traumatic experience best left in the past). Second, because Ann, my younger sis now based in Taiwan, went home for Christmas with one of her angels – TJ, and this is the 1st time I’ve seen her in almost three years now! I do not mean to put the real reason behind all this celebration in the backseat. That is already a given, and without Him, I know that I will never experience all this joy. But Christmas has also always been a tradition for our family. It is a time for getting together and just spending time with each other.

Highlights:

* Since I got based in Manila almost five years ago, I was alternately spending Christmas in Cebu with my parents and siblings or in the U.S. somewhere while on assignment. This year, I’m happy to have spent it with family again :)
* We surprised Ma and Pa with Ann and TJ’s unannounced Christmas visit. Mama was crying profusely when she saw Ann in the van. We, meaning Ann, Eyen, Dong and myself had put so much effort in keeping that secret, and we’re so glad we pulled it off! Even Ate Chan and Ate Ais were surprised :)
* TJ, Ann’s 2-year old son gave me my happiest moments this Christmas. Mind you, he was quite a handful, but he never tired me out, and I never lost patience for all the times that he’d have tantrums (probably because he still adjusting to the new environment and people and he was sick). I’ll never forget the way he’d say “car” without quite pronouncing the letter r as he points to our car in the garage, or when he’d mimic “wow” every time I say it whenever he’d do something good or follow what Tita Trix says. I’ll never forget the way he’d immediately run the moment you put him down after carrying him, like a little energizer bunny or the way he loved to take off his sandals and run around our house barefooted. I love the way he chases after the bubbles I blow, laughing heartily while doing so and happily skipping in joy. How a child’s innocence really touches your heart! His main language is Mandarin, and from time to time he’d mumble a few words and I look at him so cluelessly, then he gives this very heartwarming smile and I just nod as if I understand. :) TJ, I will really miss you, ‘langga. Maybe I’ll visit you in Taiwan, ha?
* Another thing I love about going back to Cebu are the times spent with my siblings. My younger siblings are the closest to me since we grew up together, being just a few years apart. I love playing the role of “ate” whenever we’re together, but the truth is, I was the most childish among them. Now, we treat each other like barkada, often going out together on gimik or practically everywhere we go. Eyen, who’s next to Ann, is my tour guide in Cebu as she knows all the latest watering holes. Dong is of course our bodyguard and driver. Ann, who is just a year younger than I, practically took the same path as I when she moved out of our home right after college. In fact, she moved out of the country. So we hardly spent time together in our early adult years, but our bond has remained strong over the years, and I’m just so proud of how much she was matured and grown independent, coming out on her own. I will miss you, too, Ann, and I wish you more blessings in the coming years. Thank you for bringing TJ. I know it’s not easy to have a toddler with you in a long travel, but we are so happy we got to know TJ more and spent all those time with him. We hope to see little AJ soon as well.
* My Ate Channie holds annual Christmas parties. This is participated in by family members in Manila, a few of her kids’ friends, and her katulongs. We hold parlor games, singing contests, exchange gifts and gift giving.
* My visit to the Chosen Children Village was an eye-opener. The kids (who are either physically or mentally disabled) reminded me how blessed and loved I am, and that there are a lot out there that needs our love and support.
* One of the more memorable parties I went to was Cristina’s (one of my good friends from MBA). The highlight of the evening was a serenade from a choral group. The members come from a rehabilitation center called SELF, and it was inspiring to see how much the folks really desired to change. One of the songs they sang was “Count your Blessings Instead of Sheep” the lyrics of which I wrote above.

Lowlights:

* I have always heard horrible stories of holiday traffic in Manila and this is the first year I have experienced this. All I can say is, I’m glad the holidays are over.
* Mall parking space was also hard to come by. And of course, the malls were really crowded. I guess the lesson of the year is really to start Christmas shopping early.
* Traveling during the holidays is also not one of the best things to do. The domestic airport was packed, the lines were really long and the seats in the waiting lounge could not accommodate all the passengers. But the good thing is, our flight wasn’t delayed.
* I noticed a lot of traffic cops suddenly filled the streets and highways. One of them extorted money out of me. I was on my way to NAIA to fetch Ann and passed thru Villamor Airbase. I was just following the cars ahead of me, and I did not know they had suddenly put a no entry sign to the usual route. And since I was in a hurry, I heeded his “parinig” to pay him na lang so that there will be no hassles.
* Since Tequila Joe’s just opened in Cebu, my friends and I decided to try it out. Food was very pricey but the turn off was really their service. Very poor! It took them more than 15 minutes to bring each of our orders in. And we mostly ordered beer! We ended up dissing the place and we swore never to go back.

Greetings:
* I’m delinquent in sending out email responses and I know you guys understand ;). To Madz, Enteng, Jov, John, Lily, Raymond and all my friends who are far away, I hope you did have a merry Christmas and I wish you a blessed and peaceful year ahead!
* Happy birthday, Jude and I wish you would remain happy for as long as you wish for. Just remember to enjoy every moment and don’t overanalyze!
* Of course, I’d like to greet everyone a HAPPY AND PEACEFUL NEW YEAR!!!!






Dose Me


Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com